Concretely, after the difficult period that occured in Serbia during the 90’s, the Serbian nation showed its will to rebuild the country on democratic solid basis notably with the election of the pro-European President- Boris Tadic. He achieved an overhaul of the Serbian legal and fiscal system following the European standards.
During the last 10 years Serbia has experienced a constant growth of its foreign direct investments (FDI) with – despite of the financial crisis- a total amount of 1.5 billions dollars in 2010 and 3,125 billions dollars in 2011.
Serbia presents the double advantage of being an emerging economy with needs in terms of infrastructures, services and industries and to have a stable and attractive political and legal framework.
Four assets of this country make a key for the success of your setting-up:
- A cosmopolitan and open-minded country: its history, culture and mentality are mixed with the European one. This aspect makes easier business relationships with Serbian people.
- A geostrategic position: Serbia is at the heart of the Europe and is crossed by the pan-European corridors X and VII that link the north and the south of Europe (Rotterdam/Constanta).
- An attractive and competitive business environment:
- Government policy to promote foreign investments: fiscal and financial incentives and assistance.
- Legal and fiscal framework governing Company Law: foreign investors have the same rights and obligations than Serbian citizens to open a company. Since 2004 Serbia introduced a legal framework on company law that is similar with the one governing the countries from EU. It should be noted that Serbian corporate tax is very attractive with a rate of 15% (one of the lowest in Europe).
- Serbia is an open door on a market of 1 billion of potential clients thanks to its free trade agreements with EU, Russia, Kazakhstan, the USA, Turkey and members countries from CEFTA and EFTA Agreements.
4. An efficient human capital: high quality intellectual asset/ efficient and productive workforce at a moderate salary level.
This country, located at maximum 2000km of each European countries and connected to all main European capital by plane, is in a fast growing situation.
Whether you have a project of setting-up a manufacturing plant, of selling manufactured products, of dealing with import-export business or offering specific services, today Serbia has needs and expectations.